Thursday, February 26, 2009

Locke, Locke and more Locke!

I am preparing a longer post, but here is one thought I had:

I was wondering why Ben killed Locke. First, I think he needed to know all of Locke's instructions (the last being to see Eloise). Second, it is possible that the island wouldn't have taken Locke back had he committed suicide. The island doesn't like loss of faith and Locke's suicide would have been that. Maybe Ben was saving Locke by killing him so the island would accept him back and resurrect him.

I have to go think and maybe watch this episode a hundred more times to wrap my mind around everything. For some reason, this one threw me for a loop. I am about a half a percentage point more certain that my faction theory is in the ballpark of what is happening here.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I have been wondering about this too.

    It looked to me like Ben was genuinely relieved to have saved Locke... until the moment he found out that Widmore told Locke that *Hawking* would get them back to the island. Then he immediately decided he had to kill Locke. Hawking's name was the trigger, but why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that Eloise was the trigger at first. Then I watched closely and noticed that Ben was winding that wire around his fists prior to this - he would have to be considering how quickly he was able to jump on Locke. I also think Ben was relieved that Locke didn't kill himself, but I think (or maybe I am hoping) it may be for larger reasons than one name.

    Perhaps though, it is just my absolute love of Ben's character -he is written and played so beautifully. I just want more there than for him to be a 'bad guy' in the end.

    ReplyDelete